Grenfell Tower victims to get £5500 from emergency fund, Theresa May says

Frederick Owens
June 20, 2017

Other speakers questioned the death toll from the fire, repeating unfounded allegations that authorities were deliberately covering it up.

Prime Minister Theresa May, criticised for keeping her distance from angry residents during her visit to the charred remains of the 24-storey Grenfell Tower, said on Saturday the response to the disaster had been "not good enough".

Four more people whose bodies have been recovered were identified on Monday: 24-year-old Ya-Haddy Sisi Saye (also known as Khadija Saye), 65-year-old Anthony Disson, 39-year-old Abufars Ibrahim, and 52-year-old Khadija Khalloufi.

Speaking outside Scotland Yard, Cmdr Stuart Cundy said a total of 79 people were presumed dead and warned the toll could rise further.

Mohammad Alhajali had been identified as a victim over the weekend.

"Tony leaves behind a large family, his wife, sons and grandchildren, including one grandchild he will never get to meet. We ask at this time that our family are left to grieve in private", his family said in a statement.

Some firefighters returned to the scene of the blaze in North Kensington for the event and were seen sobbing alongside the residents.

More news: Spicer: Trump may address potential Comey tapes this week

'This inquiry needs to look, not just at the immediate causes of the fire and the response to it, but also at who was responsible for the building and for any alterations made to it.

Cundy said a criminal investigation into the tower blaze would be exhaustive.

"And it is incredibly hard to describe the devastation in some parts of that building".

An emotional Prince William described the tragedy as "one of the most awful things (he's) ever seen". Almost 200 families directly affected by the fire have already received money, according to the Grenfell Response Team, or GRT, which includes the British Red Cross, Met Police, London Fire Brigade, and local, regional, and central government representatives.

"But we will do it with our utmost professionalism and we will do everything we can as quickly as we can to locate everybody who is in there".

As anger continued in the wake of the disaster, described by London Mayor Sadiq Khan as a "preventable accident", the Government announced those left homeless will be given at least £5,500 from an emergency fund.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER