Too soon to close camps for Boko Haram's displaced

Isaac Cain
May 19, 2017

Lalong said that Plateau had had its share of security challenges and had seen seen how collaborations between the military and civilians had ensured quick resolution of internal conflicts.

Nigerians displaced by militant group Boko Haram will not return home by the end of May as originally planned, according to the governor of the state hit hardest by the Islamist insurgency.

In a statement by the anti-corruption body (Transparency International) states that President Muhammadu Buhari's promise to tackle corruption and terrorism is being hampered by the lack of transparency in military contract awards.

The Nigerian Defense Headquarters (DHQ) has described as false the allegations of corruption leveled against the country's military by Transparency International.

Transparency International said this had left the military "without vital equipment, insufficiently trained, low in morale and under-resourced".

More news: Stocks Roundup Automatic Data Processing (NASDAQ:ADP), Harley-Davidson Inc (NYSE:HOG)

DHQ spokesman Brig Gen John Enenche said on Tuesday, May 18, that the allegations should be ignored by Nigerians and the global community. But the reclaimed areas are often razed towns, or islands of relative safety and highways connecting them to larger cities.

The first wave of Boko Haram attacks spread from northeast Nigeria to neighboring Niger's southwestern Diffa region in 2015 and since then, the area has struggled with an unprecedented security crisis.

The report also said countries such as the United States could encourage defence reform by withholding arms, such as the planned sale of up to a dozen Super Tucano A-29 aircraft to help the fight against Boko Haram.

However, Transparency worldwide underlines the fact that Nigeria has to make its defence budget and systems more transparent.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER