Investigators hunt for accomplices of Manchester Arena bomber

Frederick Owens
May 25, 2017

May revealed that continuing investigations after the suicide bombing in Manchester Arena by Salman Abedi revealed the possibility that there is a wider group of individuals behind the attack that killed 22 people and injured almost 60.

Asked if he was known to the intelligence services, she said: "The security services will know a lot of people, it doesn't mean they are expected to arrest everybody that they know but it is somebody that they had known before and I'm sure when this invetigation concludes we'll be able to find out more".

- He is of Libyan descent, sources in Manchester's Libyan community told CNN.

Abedi was reported to be a former business student who dropped out of university and turned to radical Islam.

She said armed police will also be ready to respond quickly to any incidents and their walking patrols had been increased.

Minister Gerard Collomb said Wednesday on BFM television that British and French intelligence have information that Abedi had been to Syria.

The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack.

According to BBC, the move came after investigators were unable to rule out whether Manchester bombing suspect Salman Abedi acted alone.

Collomb, who spoke with British Prime Minister Theresa May after the attack at an Ariana Grande concert that killed 22, said the two countries should continue cooperating closely on counterterrorism efforts despite Britain's pending exit from the European Union.

A woman lights candles after a vigil in Albert Square, Manchester, England, Tuesday May 23, 2017, the day after the suicide attack at an Ariana Grande concert that left 22 people dead as it ended on Monday night.

The Times newspaper said Abedi was believed to have returned to Britain from Libya recently.

More news: Fallout 4 will be free to play this weekend

Social media users reposted the photos, as well.

As Rudd was speaking, the French interior minister was quoted as telling reporters that the attacker had proven links to Islamic State, and probably had traveled to Syria.

Rudd earlier told Sky News that she expects the critical threat level to be temporary.

"Armed police officers responsible for duties such as guarding key sites will be replaced by members of the armed forces".

May said a new attack "may be imminent" but the authorities stressed that the soldiers would remain under police command.

"This is a temporary arrangement in order to respond to an exceptional event", Rudd said.

The Manchester attack was the deadliest in Britain since July 2005, when four British Muslim suicide bombers killed 52 people in coordinated attacks on London's transport network. Her death was confirmed by her mother, Charlotte Campbell, in a Facebook post on Tuesday night.

RIP my lovely princess Olivia Campbell????Gone far too soon & never will be forgotten. Some have life-threatening injuries. Twelve of them were aged under 16. He has been identified as 22-year-old Salman Abedi.

The plan, which has never before been used and is codenamed Operation Temperer, was first revealed after the November 2015 Paris terror attacks and is believed to allow up to 5,000 troops to be deployed.

British police had already announced extra security measures for upcoming sporting fixtures including Saturday's FA Cup football final.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER