Girl choked on fidget spinner part, needed surgery, mom says

Faith Castro
May 19, 2017

For all those not up-to-date on the latest toy craze, the Fidget Spinner is the biggest fad for kids since Pokémon Go - and apparently just as risky.

A 10-year-old Houston girl had a brush with death after swallowing a piece of the latest must-have toy - a fidget spinner.

Kelly Rose Joniec of Houston wrote a Facebook post on Monday saying that she heard her 10-year-old daughter choking in the back seat of her vehicle. When Joniec saw Britton's red face and drool in her mirror, she pulled over. After trying to dislodge the small piece of metal with the Heimlich maneuver, Joniec took Britton to the nearest urgent care center. That's right - part of the spinner had come apart in Britton's mouth and wedged in her esophagus, also straining her windpipe's ability to take in air.

Kelly's post went viral and she now hopes it will serve as a warning to parents, who buy the colourful spinning devices for their children.

She was rushed to hospital, but doctors couldn't find out where the blockage might be.

More news: Deepika Padukone stuns everyone at Cannes with her ravishing looks

Kelly Rose Joniec said that her daughter, Britton, nearly died after choking on a part from one of the toys, Daily Mail reports. That's how Joniec said her daughter got a bearing stuck in her throat.

Britton is recovering, as her family told CNN in a statement, but her medical emergency could be yet another blow to the still-spreading fidget spinner trend. "She said she'd put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it", Joniec says in her Facebook post. Britton eventually had it removed after undergoing surgery.

Joniec continues in her post, "Fortunately we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while".

A fidget spinner is a three-pronged, palm-sized piece of plastic or metal that spins around a central weighted disc. "Fidget spinners are the current craze.keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard". "If it can fit through a toilet paper roll, don't give it to a young child, and make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions".

Schools such as PS 29 in Brooklyn have banned fidget spinners in some classrooms and at lunch, with one student's mom telling the News, "I can see how teachers might hate them".

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER