16th person arrested in Manchester bombing

Danny Woods
May 31, 2017

British police said on Monday they had arrested a 16th person in connection with the Manchester suicide bombing last week.

Police are trying to pinpoint Abedi's movement between 18 May, when he returned from a trip to Libya, and 22 May, when he carried out the deadly attack that killed 22 people and injured dozens more.

Police have let go a total of five people without charges, including a man and woman released earlier.

The investigation brought the arrest of a 23-year-old man in Sussex, south of London, on suspicion of terrorism offenses.

Abedi's younger brother said he knew generally about the plot but did not know where and when the blast would be, a Libyan militia spokesman told private broadcaster Libya's Channel Thursday.

For the first time, suspected Islamist terrorists are being prevented from returning to the United Kingdom, the home secretary has said, as she warned that members of the Manchester bomber's terror network could still be at large. Searches were also conducted in Manchester and Cheshire overnight.

The arrested suspects have not been identified or charged.

Prime Minister Theresa May on Saturday (May 27) lowered the terror threat level, which had been hiked after Monday's carnage.

The bombing was the latest in a series of ISIS-claimed attacks in Europe that have coincided with a US-led offensive against the terror group in Syria and Iraq by countries including Britain.

More news: Trump views Germany as political opponent - senior SPD lawmaker

Military personnel will remain ready to deploy in support of the police if needed, even after they stand down, Rowley said.

"I've always had a pride in this city, ever since I was born", he said.

The return to a level of normalcy followed days of emotional tributes to the Manchester attack victims.

Grande announced Tuesday that her "One Love Manchester" show will be held at the city's Old Trafford cricket ground on Sunday.

It had been set at critical in the aftermath of the Manchester bombing.

"The information came from the interception of his communications by USA federal agents, who had been investigating Abedi since the middle of 2016, and from information unearthed in Libya, where his family was linked to terrorist groups", the source further said, adding "Following this US tip-off, Abedi and other members of the gang were scrutinized by MI5".

Rudd said Sunday that intelligence agencies were monitoring 3,000 suspected extremists and had a wider pool of 20,000 people of interest.

However, Abedi had not featured in Prevent, the Government's voluntary counter-radicalisation scheme.

Hopkins said he was not aware of what intelligence agencies knew about Abedi.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER