France promises proof Assad regime behind chemical attack

Frederick Owens
April 21, 2017

French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said on April 19 that this country would present proof of the Assad regime's culpability in the coming days, the Deutsche Welle report said.

The officials delivered the assessment on Wednesday, April 19, 2017, weeks after a chemical attack in Syria killed at least 90 people.

"No child of god should suffer such horror", US President Donald Trump said, following the strike.

Israeli defense officials say Syrian President Bashar Assad still has up to three tons of chemical weapons.

Israeli estimates of Assad's current chemical weapons stockpile add to questions raised after the sarin gas attack.

The announcement comes two weeks after a deadly chemical attack in Syria's Idlib which killed almost 90 people.

The U.N.'s chief humanitarian adviser for Syria says aid agencies have been able to reach fewer besieged people with relief this year compared to the same period last year.

Western nations have accused the Syrian regime of carrying out the air raid, but Moscow, Syria's closest ally, insists the Assad regime is not to blame. "Were they dead at all?"

"The likelihood of exposure to a chemical attack is amplified by an apparent lack of external injuries reported in cases showing a rapid onset of similar symptoms, including acute respiratory distress as the main cause of death", World Health Organization said in its statement on 5th April. What's the material? You have no information at all, nothing at all.

More news: Ministers Fear, Want To Keep Me Out Of AIADMK: Dinakaran

Separately the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) has said "incontrovertible" test results by its team of experts already probing the incident had shown sarin gas or a similar substance was used in Khan Sheikhoun.

The attack led to widespread worldwide outrage, including attempts to pass a UN Security Council resolution condemning it, blocked last week by Russian Federation.

The missile strike was the first direct U.S. military action against Assad's forces since the start of Syria's civil war six years ago and precipitated a downward spiral in ties between Washington and Moscow.

The global chemical arms watchdog on Thursday "overwhelmingly" rejected a Russian-Iranian move to launch a new investigation into a chemical attack in Syria.

On Friday Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov criticized the OPCW for not sending experts to the attack site, saying it was "unacceptable to analyze events from a distance".

The OPCW fact-finding team said it will continue to conduct interviews and analyze samples, Uzumcu said.

United Kingdom scientists had already found that sarin or a similar chemical had been used in the attack, having tested samples smuggled from the site.

Additional reporting from IRN.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER