Facebook video murder suspect kills himself in Pa., police confirm

Isaac Cain
April 19, 2017

While the auto was spinning out of control Stephens pulled a pistol and shot himself in the head, Pennsylvania State Police said. "A traffic stop was attempted and, after a brief pursuit, Stephens shot and killed himself", the Pennsylvania State Police said on Twitter.

"This started with one tragedy and ended with another person taking his own life". After a brief pursuit, he pulled over, and as officers approached the vehicle, he took his own life, authorities said.

- Pennsylvania State Police say the suspect in the random killing of a Cleveland retiree posted on Facebook has shot and killed himself after a brief pursuit.

Lane spoke about the ordeal and what her life has been like for the past 48 hours after Stephens said her name in the disturbing video, according to the Washington Post.

PBS NewsHour will update this story as it develops.

Godwin's family has forgiven Stephens and said they hold no animosity toward him.

More news: San Bernardino school shooter fired 10 shots, reloaded once

"We're grateful that this has ended", Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams said.

Meanwhile, Facebook responded to criticism for its handling of the incident, as Stephens' account was deactivated more than two hours after he murder video was uploaded. In it, he said, "I snapped, I just snapped".

Stephens took a video of himself shooting 74-year-old Robert Godwin in the street as he walked home from Easter meal with his children.

While on stage at F8, Facebook's annual developer's conference, Zuckerberg said "Our hearts go out to the family and friends of Robert Godwin Sr". Pennsylvania state troopers received a tip from a McDonald's employee in Erie, in far western Pennsylvania, approximately 100 miles east of Cleveland.

Regarding the chilling video, Williams said Tuesday, "This is something that should not have been shared around the world". Video of his death was posted to Facebook by his alleged killer, Steve Stephens.

Within a day, authorities expanded the search nationwide and offered a 50,000 dollar (£39,000) reward for information leading to his capture.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article